Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Fete de la Musique

Not your average Tuesday night, that's for sure!   Starting in a side courtyard of le vieux port, where competing sounds and overpriced beers eventually drove us away.  (Picture Norah Jonesesque cover band next to a Brazilian drum troop.)  We celebrated music by wandering around buying home-made street meat and beers while taking in all the different soundscapes along the way.  Hard to stay still really when there's still so much more to be discovered.  If you were in France last night chances are you too took part in this 30-year- old festival that brings talent of all kinds to the streets in most every city in France and now several other places around the world.  We climbed up to the area known as “la plaine”.    Every new corner was a new musical surprise.  My greatest surprise of the evening was when I thought an AC was leaking.  I looked down at my legs being splattered to discover no, not an AC, but pee, I was getting peed on!  In his defense, he might have thought he was being discrete, alleviating himself in an ally by the trash bin- we just happened to be on the other side.  A few moments later I needed to use the loo myself and was told flatly:  “NON”.  I was shocked and about to leave but then turned around and said:  “Oh, d'accord, je reviendrai, JAMAIS (oh, okay, I will be back NEVER”).  Luckily I know a restaurant owner a little ways away, but honestly, I will never understand how public establishments can refuse the use of their toilet.  It’s just bad business, if not a public health concern.  What are women supposed to do?  No wonder certain streets always smell of urine, and how street cleaners are out power washing the side-walks everyday. Well anyways, pee on leg not withstanding, it was an evening full of surprises.  Here are a few clips from the night, enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment